The Stowe Community Church is located in the heart of Stowe, a classic New England village in the Green Mountains of central Vermont. Stowe is a world-renowned four- season resort community, and therefore draws people from many different places and denominations. The town of Stowe is 73 square miles and was chartered in 1763. Three church groups, the Congregationalists, the Universalists and the Methodists, each had their own church. In 1863, the Universalists built a new church of New England colonial style, and installed a Simmons tracker organ the following year. In 1918, the three religious groups recognized the need for a more cooperative effort and decided to federate and hold joint services with a single minister. In 1920, the churches united and formed the Stowe Community Church. The Universalist church was kept as the best edifice, and the Congregational Parsonage (circa 1850) was retained as the residence for the minister. Thus, the Stowe Community Church became one of the first non-denominational churches in the United States.